Skip to main content

A Bit of a Twist: Read on the Run Anthology is Live and I Am a Contributor!

Hey so a while back I wrote a bit of a horror story and submitted it to Smoking Pen Press emag and they picked it for some reason and now you can read it!

Look at that cover. Doesn't it look nice?


I've not read the other stories included, but I'm excited to once I get my contributor copy. Apparently, mine isn't the only story to include revenge. :) 

As for my writer insight: I wrote it to see if I could do a story with a gender-neutral protagonist. You are free to interpret the character's gender in any way you wish. I had also been writing a thesis on revenge tales in Shakespearean drama, so revenge was on my mind and it worked its way into the plot. Revenge is often a gendered theme, so I was curious whether I could avoid some of those implications with a non-specified protagonist. 

But also, the ending came about because I'm not the best plotter in the world, so I was just like, "Errr...how do I wrap this up? Murder? OK murder sounds good I guess." Ever since middle school, when I first found out I could scare my friends with stories about dead bodies in the woods and murderers hanging out in the treetops, I've had a tendency to end plots with murder. 

It's called "River Road." River Road is a street in my home town in Maryland, and it served as partial inspiration for the story. The whole thing doesn't necessarily take place in Maryland, but you're free to imagine it there. Or imagine it taking place anywhere in the American South. Preferably somewhere humid. In summer. In very hot, murder-y weather. 

Comments

  1. Intriguing. I read the protagonist as male. I'm not sure why, but I did. I enjoyed your story, though. Murder was a good end to things there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. :) It's up to the reader for interpretation. Always nice to hear someone's take on it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...