Skip to main content

Eating my own words >:(

So a while back I got into this intense #poetparty discussion on Twitter...well, two intense #poetparty discussions. To be completely honest, I'm one of those people who will try to offer differing opinions to further disucssion. It makes life more interesting. But in these two cases I happened to believe very strongly in my opinionated opinions--about confessional poetry and "prose poems."

I've already written a post about confessional poetry ("Confessional Rant" http://lauraplusthevoices.blogspot.com/2011/02/confessional-rant.html ) explaining why I distrust it so much. As for prose poems, I generally dislike them...with a few exceptions. Well, two, to be exact. On the other hand, I love microfiction and short short stories. Needless to say, the #poetparty's were rather spirited.

However, in the past week I have done three things I never thought I would do. One: I wrote a purely confessional poem. Two: It was a prose poem. Three: I read it out loud. ARGH. *eats words* And to make it all worse, I actually liked the poem. It was good, or at least decent. Horrendously uncomfortable to share with my poetry class, of course, and I still refuse to actually like the concept of "prose poetry." But the class I'm in now has made me experiment with writing in ways I know I wouldn't have otherwise. And I appreciate that.

In other news, I visited some D.C. art galleries, ate a gigantic pulled buffalo sandwich, gave up YouTube for Lent, and returned to Twitter after a week-long hiatus. I wasn't in time to catch a new #poetparty, though--Sundays 8-9 on Twitter, if you're interested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...