Skip to main content

Kitten fostering is an emotional rollercoaster

Today, I dropped my little foster kitten off at the cat rescue. He'll be cared for medically, go to another temporary foster home, and see many more people who will be more likely to adopt him. And I'll have room for another foster kitty.
This is great, but bittersweet, news. I felt guilty leaving him at the rescue because he won't understand where I've gone. I think it's easier for them to bounce back from that type of thing when they're kittens, but I felt especially bad with this foster because he seemed really bonded to me. 
When he was littler, he would cry and meow if he couldn't see me, if I left the room, or if he felt insecure in general. He rode on my shoulder, tried to nurse my finger (ouch), and was just very attached and affectionate. He still meows if I'm behind a closed door. Or rather, he did. It was hard to close the door of the rescue center and drive home without him. 
Over the holiday, he did really well with all the new people -- and even cats -- he encountered. I'm sure he'll be a great candidate for adoption, even if he can be a scaredy-cat initially. It's just hard to feel a sense of closure on this particular foster kitten because his story hasn't ended in adoption (yet).
The other foster cats I've had all found homes, whether right away after I fostered them or after a little while. I'm sure Sir Topaz, the kitten with beautiful golden-brown, star-patterned eyes who lets you clip his nails (!!!), will find a home. Fostering is an emotional rollercoaster, but ultimately rewarding.
I took a few videos of him, which I'll upload. One I already did -- my first foray into CatTube! I'll link it here.

This post crossposted on my ko-fi and patreon pages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Hemlock Grove, ep. 1 and 2

Hello! I'm back from my blogging hiatus. I've been on a horror kick lately, and most recently, I watched the first two episodes of Netflix's Hemlock Grove. I'm a bit late to this series, but for what it's worth, here's my review. I have some...issues.  Pacing It's based on a novel, and you can tell. Once the show introduces something that might be interesting or lead to tension and conflict, it snatches it away like a precious plot-gem that it doesn't want you to see. There is way too much exposition and filler. The plot hangs together pretty well, but not much really happens. Case in point, it should not have taken two whole episodes to find out Main Character is a werewolf. Especially since everyone seems clued into this fact and accepts it as truth -- except the viewers. Then suddenly Rich Boy is asking if he can watch the transformation like it's understood that Poor Kid Main Character is a werewolf. No warning, no lead-up, nothing.

Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow by Faïza Guène, a YA Book By A Young Author

Review time! Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow is a young adult novel by a young adult, so I was very interested to read it. There's also a #MuslimShelfSpace tag going around, and this review is a nod to that. The idea is that there's been a lot of stereotypes and anti-Muslim sentiment spread around, so buying and boosting books about and by Muslims can help educate people and break down harmful stereotypes.  The author is French with an Algerian background, and  Guène  wrote Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow when she was in her late teens. Although the novel is not autobiographical, she shares many things with its main character. Doria, like her creator, is the child of immigrants and lives in poor suburban housing projects.   Guène   wrote that she realized girls like herself weren't really represented in books, and felt that Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow was a way to tell the stories of people in the suburbs who are ignored by the elites of French literature. Plot: Life Sucks, Until It Doesn

King Arthur Sucks.

I wrote a review of The Greenstone Grail by Amanda Hemingway , in which I applauded the book for being the first Arthurian adaptation I had read that I didn't despise. I mean, how could I? Despite the book's other problems, it had aliens riding motherfucking dragons!!! Aliens! Dragons! Parallel universes!  After reading my review, one of my friends asked me why I hate Arthurian legend so much.  Well.  Perhaps one of the reasons I liked The Greenstone Grail 's take on the Holy Grail myth was because it was so different.  Most Arthurian adaptations fall along the same lines. It's the same damn story told almost the same damn way all the time. But  The Greenstone Grail took place in modern times, borrowing from the Holy Grail and Arthurian myths without making it so central to the plot that there was no room for other stuff like imagination.  Say whatever else you want about this book ( and believe me, I did ), it had imagination. Its main character can dimension-