Skip to main content

More Reviews Upcoming (I Promise)

June and July have been nuts, and I've been largely absent from my usual online spaces as a result. 

I'm finally getting around to seeing various doctors re: my visit to the ER, and so far things are looking better. I still have weird chronic pain, vision and hearing problems, and dizziness, but it's getting better. Or at least, it's not as bad as it was.

I've also been writing a lot, but not on my typical projects. I've been doing a lot more freelancing lately -- translation, mostly, as well as some editing and (fingers crossed!) I may be hired later for a content-writing job, if they like the samples I sent. I'm also making a tentative foray into copywriting. I'll see how that goes. 

What I really want to do is get back to writing reviews. I have to review Virtues of War (quite good), Inked (shaping up to be good), The Sorcery Code, and A Legacy of Light. Reviews just take longer than you'd think, probably because I obsess over every detail and want them to look good on the examiner.com site. I also find it harder to write reviews of books I loved, since it's difficult to find new ways to say "I loved this and it was amazing." That's a good problem to have, I suppose -- it means I'm reading a lot of good books.

I'll get around to it. I swear.

Right now, though, I'm working on a secret project. Very hush-hush and definitely outside my typical genres. I won't say much, in case it goes utterly to shit, but the newness of the idea, style, and genre have been quite fun. It's helped re-teach me the fun of writing. I think that's because, for once, I'm not worried about taking myself too seriously. It's not something I can spend a ton of time on, as I have freelancing deadlines to get to now -- but due to the nature of the beast, I can crank out a lot of words in a very short period of time, say, half an hour. 

Comments

  1. Good to hear what you're up to! I also want to get into writing reviews. I definitely think it's a skill to eloquently express feelings about a book, especially ones you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like reading your blog reviews -- they're very to the point. I struggle with the urge to feel like I have to dress up the words and pad the word count.

      Delete
  2. Happy to hear you are getting better than you were, medically. Here's hoping that continues! Though your work output, even when feeling lousy, sounds impressive. You might outwork me while sick, even when I am well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, i just had a hearing test today. "Still recovering from ear infection" seems to be the consensus, but we'll see. Keeping up with this workload has been a struggle with my regular hours at work. But I did finish the first installment of that project (a short story). So, yay.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...