Skip to main content

Subgenre Party!

Since signing up for NaNoWriMo, I've been spending a lot of time on the forums. They're a great resource. 

Because Contracted is fantasy, I've been hanging out on the Fantasy forum a lot. In the process, I've found out some things about the WIP that I didn't know myself. It fits into sub-genres I didn't initially realize, including some that I didn't even know existed. Such as:

High Fantasy: fantasy that takes place in a non-Earth dimension, alternate world, or universe. (Contrast with Low Fantasy, which takes place on Earth.) Lumped in with Epic Fantasy, and the terms are interchangeable (although I prefer to differentiate between the two because High refers to the setting while Epic refers to the nature of the story).

 http://zam.zamimg.com/lotro/i/images/maps/rivendell.jpg

Epic Fantasy: lumped in with High Fantasy. Fantasy that features a quest, journey, multiple locales, a sense of sweeping scope and scale, or characters with epic stature, such as monarchs and heroes. More likely to have an episodic plot. The stakes are about Saving the World.

Dark Fantasy: fantasy where the gothic, horror, or gruesome elements are emphasized; fantasy where grim and scary themes, motifs, and characters are emphasized; sometimes called "horror fantasy."

 http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/29000000/Dark-fantasy-dark-fairytales-29080605-1366-768.jpg

Fairy-Tale Retelling: a retelling of a classic fairy tale or myth. May or may not be Fantasy.

Twisted Fairy Tale: May or may not be fantasy, but when it is, it's the Dark Fantasy or Horror version of Fairy-Tale Retelling. Many are fairy tales retold as horror stories.

http://grist.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/bitten-apple-flickr-d-sharon-pruitt.jpg

Gritty Fantasy: a sister to Dark Fantasy, but where Dark Fantasy is more about horror/gruesome elements, Gritty Fantasy is more about amorality. Characters are often forced to be or become amoral/morally ambiguous in order to survive in a cruel, harsh world. There's a focus on character realism rather than heroic ideals. 

Political Fantasy: fantasy that focuses on political intrigue, where political conniving, scheming, and intrigue is central to the plot. Tends to have less magic.

Sword and Sorcery: fantasy crossed with action/adventure, taking place in a High Fantasy setting, often involving magic and a romantic element. The characters have many battles, fights, and adventures, but the stakes are less about Saving the World and more about personal battles. Has gained a bit of a reputation for being campy.

LGBT Fantasy: as I define it, fantasy where a non-hetero character or romantic relationship is central to the plot. Alternately, it's fantasy that is in discourse with LGBT issues and that seeks to create social change for LGBT people today (an "issue" novel). 

How useful are sub-genres, though? Does it matter whether something fits better in High/Epic Fantasy or Dark Fantasy? Apart from Feminist and LGBT Fantasy, which are used as vehicles for social change, the rest of these seem like sub-genres without a cause.

Sub-genres seem most useful for talking about books...after reading them. And after writing them. Genre is often more a marketing thing.
   
But none of that matters right now.

November is for writing, and it's nearly here.

Comments

  1. Ahh props to you for doing NaNo. I still haven't gotten up the courage or motivation to do it. Maybe next year? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Technically I am NaNoRebelling (starting off with a WIP) but there's a section for that. It's allowed as long as you participate the original way your first year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...