Skip to main content

Awesome Commenters!

I got a blog award!!!

More than that, I got a blog award for one of my favorite things -- comments!!! Brooke R. Busse, a young writer at Paper Mountain (a blog I really enjoy) gave me this award. Head over and check out her blog. :)


Seriously, comments are my favorite thing about blogging. I can scream into the void all day, but I'd much prefer to have a conversation. Comments are important. Without discussion, I don't really see the point of blogging. That's one of the things I liked so much about NaNoWriMo -- the forums.

In blogging, I've encountered a bit of an attitude of, "Well if you disagree, then just get off my blog! I only want 'you're fantastic and all your opinions are gold!'" comments.

Yeah, no. As much as, "I loved this! I want to read more!" comments make me smile in self-satisfaction, I like comments with a little more depth. I also try to leave comments with a little more depth. Why did I love this post? What am I going to take away from it? Did it change my opinion, or did it affirm everything I've already been thinking?

Or -- horror of horrors -- did I disagree with the blogger's opinion? 

This happens. It's fine. If you disagree with me, please be sure to say so so that we can talk about it. "I love every word that drops from your fingertips and sheds its enlightening glow on my computer screen" comments are great and all, but they don't open any doors to further discussion. Disagreeing civilly and politely, on the other hand, does. Mine is not the only perspective in the world. Meeting to talk about these things on a blogging platform can help us understand each others' point of view.

Also, I like comments because they make me feel like people are actually reading this blog. :)

The comment award goes to Ty Unglebower, a blogger and an actor friend of mine who always leaves long, thoughtful comments. Say hi on his blog or read some of his comments on this one.

In other news, the Fall/Winter 2012 issue of Outrageous Fortune launches this evening. Go check it out here! We have a shiny new website that looks very nice.

Happy December!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the award and for the shout out! You write thought provoking things that are easy to respond to. (In fact I have to remember some of the time not to let my comments run too long!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ty! By all means, let your comments run as long as you like. Some of my comments on other blogs have turned into blogpost responses on this blog, because I wanted to elaborate more and generate more discussion. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats! You definitely deserve that award. I'm always impressed with the lengthy, thoughtful responses I've gotten from you on my blog posts (or others). I think your comments add a lot to the online writing world conversation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyssa!

      I always get worried when I don't see new posts from you...Nice to "hear" from you! And yay. I do try to contribute something, when I have the time. Conversation is important.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...