Skip to main content

In Defense of Libraries

Libraries are awesome and here is why:


Reason 1: Free books.
Specifically, free books that don't require you to have a computer, Internet access, a Kindle, or a Nook. Libraries provide free books for the poorer or the less tech-savvy amongst us. To be frank, whenever I come across an ebook vs. book-book debate online, I have to roll my eyes. This is what well-to-do, middle-class people argue about in their free time. It's a bit elitist. My family didn't even have a computer until I was in middle school, and no Internet until high school. I still have friends without home computers or Internet connections. Where did we have to go for research or homework? You guessed it -- the library.

Reason 2: Educational Child Care
Whenever I visit the library, there are always families: mainly parents with toddlers. The kids read picture books or participate in a library-organized activity, while the parents read during a welcome break. There had better still be libraries around if I have kids. Not only do they provide structured activities, a chance to get out of the house, and a breather for parents, I sure don't want to have to buy a ton of picture books only to discard them a year later, when my kid gets too old.


Reason 3: A Library Isn't Just Books
This goes along with Reason 2. If it was all just a matter of the books, this debate would be irrelevant. A library is a community. Authors do readings and signings. Students get research help. Readers get recommendations. You don't have to buy anything to stay there and read or surf the Web (unlike at a cafe). You can advertise with flyers, pick up brochures, attend community events like sales, readings, movie and craft nights, etc. Actual human interaction.


Reason 4: Professional Help
Did you know that you have to have a Master's in Library Science to run a library? Most people probably don't, judging from the way they tend to underrate the role of the librarian.Their education covers everything from design to psychology to the Dewey Decimal System. It's their job to manage both books and people. A library will also provide services like career advice and research -- all you have to do is ask.


Reason 5: An Excuse to Get Out of the House
This last reason mainly applies to me. Long summers of unemployed boredom = Laura needs to leave the house before she starts climbing up the walls. However, Laura has no money. Wherever will she go? The library. Mostly I would bring my laptop for the Internet connection, but I also picked up and read a lot of books. It was a great way to avoid my parents, without them being able to object to it.

In short, libraries are an extremely valuable public resource, and those are my 5 main reasons why. Any thoughts?

Comments

  1. I absolutely love my local library and Reason 5 applies to me, too. Over the summer my sister and I would ride our bikes to our library at least every week. I think I just love looking at all the books (as weird as that sounds) and I prefer to hold a real book in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes... all very, very good points. I loove the library and it is so amazing and deserves way more appreciation than it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think libraries are under-appreciated because people just don't understand all the work that goes into them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...