Skip to main content

I've been a bad blogger...

Well, I've been a bad blogger (say that one five times fast). At least this month. I've only had five posts for the month of April, nothing particularly interesting to say, and have barely tweeted or shared posts to Facebook where people might actually be directed to read them. On the plus side, you all have been patient and nice enough to comment on my posts this month, so thanks. :)

Most of that is due to Hell Week and finals week; some of it is due to me writing reviews instead; and some of it is just me being lazy. Sorry about the lazy part. Hopefully, my life will get itself back on a normal schedule for the rest of this last term and May will see a more prolific blog! But first I have two questions for you:

The first is easy. What would you like to read about? I generally just ramble about my interests, but if there's something particular you'd like to read, go ahead and leave suggestions. I do have all those now-deleted movie reviews, the rights to which should belong to me again...

Secondly, I have been thinking about putting ads on the blog. Just thinking, mind you, because it's a step I'm wary about taking. Obviously it's worked for some people, but Google gets to choose the ads that would appear, and then there's the principle of the thing. I'm really only considering this because I got a lecture from the parental unit about "not selling your services cheaply" and "taking advantage of opportunities" and "don't you know what you can do out there on the Web?" Thank you, Mom and Dad, I do, and probably know a lot more than you about it. So what if I can earn half a cent every time someone clicks on an ad? Is it worth it? Am I compromising some vital blog principle? Probably not, but still...


In other news, I have roles in two one-act plays this term and will be taking the course "Writing Creatively About Science" with Dava Sobel, acclaimed science/historical fiction writer and author of Galileo's Daughter. Fun stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...