Skip to main content

YA Friday: What is YA lit?

Young Adult literature is, unsurprisingly, literature written for young adults.

Notice the for. Not about. I will argue to my last breath that YA doesn’t have to be written about young adults to be written for young adults. It can be, but more important than the age of the protagonists is the style, the type of story, the language, and the intended audience.

Also, if we argue that YA = written about young adults, then we get into this messy business of defining what a "young adult" is. And the legal cutoff at 18 is hardly the end of a young adult’s development. I can say from experience that many teens continue reading their favorite authors and YA books through the college years, even if they do start the transition to adult lit. 

The “YA has to be about young adults” standpoint often classifies books with older protags as adult lit when the writing style, subject matter, etc. is clearly young adult. Two great examples of this: the protagonist of the Montmorency books, a criminal-turned-spy, is in his 30’s. The Abhorsen Trilogy features 19- and 20-year-old protagonists. And yet the novels are for younger readers.

Conversely, just because a book is written about a teenager or teenagers doesn’t make it YA lit. Take George R.R. Martin’s saga A Song of Ice and Fire. No one would ever mistake that as a YA series. And yet many if not most of the characters -- Dany, Jon, Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Theon, Loras, Margaery, Samwell, Gilly, Ygritte, Joffrey, Aegon, I could go on -- are children or teenagers. "Young adults." And they aren’t side characters either: the two pivotal characters of the entire series are aged 16 and 14. If the series has "main" characters, they’re it (with some Tyrion Lannister on the side). And yet ASOIF is by no stretch of the imagination YA lit.

YA = for young adults. It’s all about audience.

Comments

  1. So basically, A Song of Ice and Fire is awesome... Sorry, I'm so into that series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely agree with you there... ASOIAF is NOT YA.

    When I'm reading those books, I kind of forget every now and again what age they are because is so far out from what I usually read about teenagers, YA books or otherwise.

    And in the HBO series, they look much, MUCH, older because I don't reckon they'd get past any sensor's office (Even HBO's, and they're not prude by any stretch of the imagination) if they had, for examples, the Dany/Drogo scenes with an actress who looked the proper age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only had the pleasure of making through the first book so far. I wasn't going to grab the second until I read the ending of the first...Now it is on my to be grabbed list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, ASOIF is awesome.

    Sarah: You know, 14 vs. 15 or 16 isn't all that different, which is how much they aged up Jon and Robb). They made all the characters older in the plot as well as their appearance -- Dany's supposed to be 16 or 17 in the show, because you can't legally show a 13yo actress having sex. I guess they decided to go with older characters as well as older actors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...