Skip to main content

Excerpts from the Editing Journal

It's Friday, and -- wow -- I'm happy to say that I met all of this week's writing goals. Woah. I think setting weekly goals works well for me. I've often had issues setting concrete goals with definite deadlines. Somehow I end up getting things done, but often in a haphazard, frantic manner. I have a good picture in my head of where I want to end up -- but the baby steps between here and there are often hard to visualize. If I can plan week by week, I can make better progress.

I also finished Edit Round 3 on The Book and have started ER4. At 103,951 words, it still needs some serious trimming. My goal is to get it below 100k. Then what? I'm avoiding answering that question, at least for now. Like with drafting, I've found that I edit better when I don't worry about the future.

I've discovered some good editing strategies. I've outlined, made a "Changes to be made" doc, kept "Discarded and alternate material" in another doc, and tracked my progress using Excel. (I have a weird love of graphs.) But the best thing I've done was start an editing journal.

The journal helps me keep track of time, progress, and goals. It also lets me mouth off my inner editing angst. I don't bother with grammar and I certainly don't give a shit about propriety. :) I didn't expect to have fun journaling about editing. Keeping a record of my progress gives me insight into my own writing process, and hopefully will help me be more aware of my own flaws and strengths.

Just for fun, my two favorite excerpts from the editing journal:

"Unnecessary commas are sprouting all over this document"

"The thought of tackling this second half keeps stalking me...like a clown with an axe."


In other news, I'm flipping the eff out over Partials by Dan Wells, which I got on my NOOK for PC as a part of this deal/cover reveal. And when I say "flipping out," I mean the "I'm going to re-read this every month and bully all of my friends into buying it because OMG." It's a post-apocalyptic YA title. I think my favorite thing about Partials is that Kira is the strongest protagonist I've ever read. It was cool to read her struggling between her sense of ethics and her scientific curiosity. Actually, scrap that. My favorite part is that it doesn't play by the same rules as a lot of YA. Many of the annoying tropes I dislike aren't there, and when you say "raise the motherf/ing stakes," it's not afraid to go there and do it BIG.

So, yeah. Put that on your TBR list. 


Currently Reading:

Comments

  1. An editing journal sounds like fun. And I've seen Partials around a lot lately... I definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It lets me put the fun back in work more than I normally do. Then again, I'm easy to amuse.

      Doooo iiitttt! Haha. I will also say that I like post-apocalyptic and science fiction, and one of the things I loved about Partials is the focus on science. If that's not your thing, you might not like it as much as I did, but it's worth reading for all the other bits. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

No, Pence Would Not Be Worse Than Trump

No, Mike Pence would not be worse than Donald Trump. 

The conversation always goes like this: "something something Trump should be impeached" "BUT IF WE IMPEACHED HIM THEN WE'LL GET PENCE AND HE'D BE SO MUCH WORSE"

No. No, no, no, no, no. Stop it. I need you to stop saying that. 

Here's why:

It's an abuse tactic

This is the same logic abusers employ to keep people from leaving them, reporting them, or taking any action. "But I never hit you." "Sure, baby, I hit you, but only a couple of times. I could have put you in the hospital." "Well, at least she's never raped me, not like such-and-so's wife." "I spent twenty years being psychologically abused and manipulated by my parents, but Joe's parents actually beat him." "I'd like to leave, but I'm afraid that living on my own will be worse."

Over time, this creates a twisted gratitude for the abuser -- instead of outrage over the things the…

A Spoiler-Free Review of Disney's Moana

I got to see a double feature with friends this Saturday: Moana followed by Rogue One. My review of Moana, containing only information you might need to know about the characters or context, is below. A review of Rogue One, which is not going to be so spoiler-free, is forthcoming.

A More or Less Spoiler-Free Review of Moana

Moana is a wonderful movie. Imagination, characters, visuals, and everything combined to create a beautiful world with a great story. 

Moana is the adventurous daughter of a chief on a Pacific island. Though she longs to hop on a boat and explore the vast expanse of ocean all around her, she reluctantly quashes this rebellious spirit in order to learn how to be a good leader. When life starts dying on the island, it turns out that the world needs an adventurer like Moana to save them all. 



No Dead Parents

Disney's rather infamous for the "dead parents as backstory or motivator" trope. It's a powerful move, but one that's been played in many, many D…

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way. 

But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news. 

So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can.

Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one. 

Summary

After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how scary he finds the wo…