Skip to main content

Dear YA: Stalking is NOT Sexy

I've just finished reading Paranormalcy by Kiersten White. It's a fantastic book, and I highly recommend it if you're into paranormal or fantasy fiction.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjYMdQMv1c5PtY9SX7zSe0n6HJXW_NgIHxqxNyd0yerkIFQ5uSPrZCPAO8iTG-zHzAawb2n4pCR84pGdxM8FlR7aX9-Bg6N32TZe_WJqiRAwMk97h4vwczWbKldFLn9y2MPZwQ0knQNa5hS/s1600/Paranormalcy.jpg

In my book, Paranormalcy wins Cutest Relationship Award. There is very little staring soulfully into each others' eyes and "just knowing" that Evie and Lend are "just right." He doesn't freeze her in place her with his electric gaze that seems to stare into her soul. She doesn't dazzle him with her superpowers or her sweet, soulful shyness. Instead, there is lots of fun bonding time, friendship building, crush-having, and figuring-out-who-the-other-person-is before it blossoms naturally into romance.

Paranormalcy also wins Creepiest Ex Award for the character of Reth. Reth is an ancient faerie with an obsession for Evie. He doesn't care about physicality or sex; he's all about manipulation, mind control, and a really creepy intrusive thing he does that is basically mind rape. 

All of his language is typical rape culture: You belong to me, It's for your own good, You'll like it once you let me, "I'll enjoy it when you beg me to touch you again" -- and the phrase, "I'm just waiting for you to stop struggling and realize that you want it." Oh, and the fact that he can touch her throat to stop her from screaming.

The thing that really pissed me off, though, wasn't him. It was Raquel, Evie's female mentor and boss. Over the course of the book, Evie tries to get her to take Reth's aggressive behavior seriously. She asks to stop working with him, and is ignored. She asks Raquel to forbid him to come near her or touch her, and is ignored. She asks them to please at least be considerate of her history with him, and Raquel just rolls her eyes and tells her not to be silly and overdramatic.

By that point, I'm screaming, "What is WRONG with you, woman?!?" I hated Raquel. What kind of mother figure dismisses stalking? A supernatural creature is stalking her. Jesus. 

She should at least have considered Evie's status as an employee. As a professional woman, Raquel has no doubt experienced workplace harassment. Granted, it's hard to file suit against a faerie, but at the least she could have honored Evie's request not to work with her fucking stalker.

OK, all of this is fictional. If I'm getting worked up over it, it's because of something that made me madder than all of the above combined.

One of the reviews on the outside of the book began, "The two sexy paranormals who vie for Evie's affection each had their own victory. One won Evie's heart and the other won mine."

Lend, I suppose, is sexy. He seemed more cute to me, but sure, sexy, whatever. But Reth? How many times do I have to say this, YA? Stalking is not sexy. You could argue that Reth is sexy physically, but to my mind, no matter how hot someone is, if they start behaving like a fucking rapist then fear instantly overrides any perception of them as sexy. 

If you're reading Paranormalcy like there's a love triangle between Evie and two hot guys whom she is equally interested in, you're doing it wrong.

The review snippet seemed more like an attempt to attract readers by casting Paranormalcy as a Twilight-like love story. It's not. Also, it doesn't need to have anything in common with Twilight. It's a fantastic book already. 

All YA Paranormal is not Twilight. It does not have to be Twilight to be good or even to sell well. Frankly, I am tired of Twilight-like stories. And I am even more tired of people who think that being stalked is a turn-on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...