Wednesday, January 29, 2014

First Wednesday "What's Up?" in a While

Hey, I remember when I used to do these regularly. WUW is hosted by Jaime Morrow.

What I'm reading

Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones is everything I hoped it would be. :) I am also reading various academic sources I need for my senior project. Next up on my TBR is, well...this post should explain it. I'm doing the #AtoZChallenge in April, but with book reviews. Which means I have 26 books to read between now and then. I still need some recommendations, so please feel free to drop off a book on that post!

Also, CP's, I swear I have not forgotten you. I am working on your stuff. Very slowly. But it is happening. 

What I'm writing

Contracted got another 1k added to it last week. I have had almost no time to work on my non-college, non-work writing. Part of the problem is that now that there's no immediate threat to my MCs, it's harder to write. Faster-paced sections are always easier. 

The Book is coming along well in re-writes. I am lazily not writing a transition section. I just want this transition and introduction of these characters to be perfect. Because once the MC meets these people, it's like a point of no return. And then I'll have to be really, really mean to him from then onwards. I have a soft spot for this guy, for some reason. I have never had any problem being absolutely tyrannical towards my other characters, protagonists or not.

Meanwhile, I've done all manner of useful worldbuilding and even outlined a Shiny New Idea for future reference.

What else I'm doing

Not sleeping. I didn't pull an all-nighter. I literally could not sleep on Sunday or Monday night. When I heard the church bells chime 7am and my roommate started getting up and getting ready for class, I was like "f*** it" and got up to go to breakfast. Just in case you're wondering, that's the worst f/ing feeling in the world. It is the WORST. Whenever anyone jokes that they wish they had insomnia because sleep is useless/they could get so much work done, I really just want to send them to sleep. Right then. With an extremely powerful slap.


Anyway, I went to bed around 4:45 this morning and fell asleep around 5 or 5:30. I've had insomnia and delayed sleep phase for years, but usually I have small bouts on occasion, not three f/ing days' worth of mostly-sleepless nights.


What inspires me right now

The play I'm concentrating on for my senior project, 12 Ophelias. It's a really good play. It's just...really good. It's weird and unrealistic, but it's awesome. The language is really beautiful, and the plotting is simple yet genius.

8 comments:

  1. Hope your insomnia goes away soon. You're right - people who wish they had it clearly never have.

    Contracted sounds exciting. I like to write the faster paced stuff, too. In fact, I have trouble slowing plots down ^^;

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      I am generally not the best at writing transitions (usually the slower-paced portions). Right now my problem is that the character I am currently following is stuck in prison. There's literally nowhere for her to go, haha.

      Have a good week!

      Delete
  2. I slept like garbage on Saturday night and it was so infuriating. I can't even begin to imagine how terrible that would be on a regular basis. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. :(

    As for the A to Z Challenge, a review a day is a great idea! I'm doing the TBR Pile Challenge this year, so I could probably fill an A to Z list of books I still need to read. A review a day would be a bit much for me though lol. Such a cool idea, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bleh, insomnia is a pain. I would get medication for it, but it does wacky stuff to my dreams and I always wake up like, "...wha'?"

      The TBR Pile Challenge sounds daunting! But fun. :) This for me is about forcing myself to write more reviews. Also getting myself to read more. Good luck on your own challege!

      Delete
  3. I am ashamed to admit that I am one of the people who had dreamed (uggh, sorry, the puns...I'm reading a lot of Shakespeare right now, okay?) of having insomnia because of my bad relationship with sleep and time-management. Thank you for crushing my stupidity gently. I sincerely hope that gets better for you. Also, I haven't read Fire and Hemlock. *adds to TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was a good pun. :) I don't realllllly mind it all that badly. It's one thing to wish you could stay up longer, vs. the people who act like they are sincerely jealous of a health problem and that I should be "grateful" for it or something...

      Fire and Hemlock is great! I love it. :) I'm going to finish it this weekend.

      Delete
  4. I'm on the other end of insomnia, too - this winter weather makes me want to sleep all day. But I won't complain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable! Being tired all the time sucks no matter how it happens. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.