Skip to main content

First Wednesday "What's Up?" in a While

Hey, I remember when I used to do these regularly. WUW is hosted by Jaime Morrow.

What I'm reading

Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones is everything I hoped it would be. :) I am also reading various academic sources I need for my senior project. Next up on my TBR is, well...this post should explain it. I'm doing the #AtoZChallenge in April, but with book reviews. Which means I have 26 books to read between now and then. I still need some recommendations, so please feel free to drop off a book on that post!

Also, CP's, I swear I have not forgotten you. I am working on your stuff. Very slowly. But it is happening. 

What I'm writing

Contracted got another 1k added to it last week. I have had almost no time to work on my non-college, non-work writing. Part of the problem is that now that there's no immediate threat to my MCs, it's harder to write. Faster-paced sections are always easier. 

The Book is coming along well in re-writes. I am lazily not writing a transition section. I just want this transition and introduction of these characters to be perfect. Because once the MC meets these people, it's like a point of no return. And then I'll have to be really, really mean to him from then onwards. I have a soft spot for this guy, for some reason. I have never had any problem being absolutely tyrannical towards my other characters, protagonists or not.

Meanwhile, I've done all manner of useful worldbuilding and even outlined a Shiny New Idea for future reference.

What else I'm doing

Not sleeping. I didn't pull an all-nighter. I literally could not sleep on Sunday or Monday night. When I heard the church bells chime 7am and my roommate started getting up and getting ready for class, I was like "f*** it" and got up to go to breakfast. Just in case you're wondering, that's the worst f/ing feeling in the world. It is the WORST. Whenever anyone jokes that they wish they had insomnia because sleep is useless/they could get so much work done, I really just want to send them to sleep. Right then. With an extremely powerful slap.


Anyway, I went to bed around 4:45 this morning and fell asleep around 5 or 5:30. I've had insomnia and delayed sleep phase for years, but usually I have small bouts on occasion, not three f/ing days' worth of mostly-sleepless nights.


What inspires me right now

The play I'm concentrating on for my senior project, 12 Ophelias. It's a really good play. It's just...really good. It's weird and unrealistic, but it's awesome. The language is really beautiful, and the plotting is simple yet genius.

Comments

  1. Hope your insomnia goes away soon. You're right - people who wish they had it clearly never have.

    Contracted sounds exciting. I like to write the faster paced stuff, too. In fact, I have trouble slowing plots down ^^;

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      I am generally not the best at writing transitions (usually the slower-paced portions). Right now my problem is that the character I am currently following is stuck in prison. There's literally nowhere for her to go, haha.

      Have a good week!

      Delete
  2. I slept like garbage on Saturday night and it was so infuriating. I can't even begin to imagine how terrible that would be on a regular basis. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. :(

    As for the A to Z Challenge, a review a day is a great idea! I'm doing the TBR Pile Challenge this year, so I could probably fill an A to Z list of books I still need to read. A review a day would be a bit much for me though lol. Such a cool idea, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bleh, insomnia is a pain. I would get medication for it, but it does wacky stuff to my dreams and I always wake up like, "...wha'?"

      The TBR Pile Challenge sounds daunting! But fun. :) This for me is about forcing myself to write more reviews. Also getting myself to read more. Good luck on your own challege!

      Delete
  3. I am ashamed to admit that I am one of the people who had dreamed (uggh, sorry, the puns...I'm reading a lot of Shakespeare right now, okay?) of having insomnia because of my bad relationship with sleep and time-management. Thank you for crushing my stupidity gently. I sincerely hope that gets better for you. Also, I haven't read Fire and Hemlock. *adds to TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was a good pun. :) I don't realllllly mind it all that badly. It's one thing to wish you could stay up longer, vs. the people who act like they are sincerely jealous of a health problem and that I should be "grateful" for it or something...

      Fire and Hemlock is great! I love it. :) I'm going to finish it this weekend.

      Delete
  4. I'm on the other end of insomnia, too - this winter weather makes me want to sleep all day. But I won't complain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable! Being tired all the time sucks no matter how it happens. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...