Wednesday, November 13, 2013

It's Wednesday. What's Up?

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop hosted by Jaime Morrow. 

What I'm reading

A biography for class, called Bess of Hardwick, Empire Builder by Mary Lovell. It's very good nonfiction -- engagingly written, informative, and about a very interesting person during a very interesting time in history. I'm also reading Nick and Tesla's High-Voltage Danger Lab and The Last Unicorn. I really need to read for fun and reviews more, but as I'll explain, I've been quite busy.

What I'm writing (aka NaNo update)

Contracted passed 70k last night/this morning. I'm technically behind on the NaNo stats chart, but only by a little under 2,000 words. I've been hanging out on the word wars, prompts, and sprints forum late at night when I should be doing homework, playing catch-up instead. I recently finished a major section, so huzzah! 

One thing I've noticed is that while I get a lot of words out during NaNo, the speed does cramp my writing and plotting style a bit. When I finish a major section in Contracted, I usually take a day or two to mull over what I've written. I'll play things over in my head like a movie, and envision scenarios for what happens next. I mean, I know what happens next, but I haven't decided when it happens -- or more importantly, what perspective I'm going to write it in. Do I continue with this plot arc, or switch over to the villain plot arc on the other side of the country?

But -- thank goodness -- the journey-through-the-woods montage is DONE. Actually, the entire journey segment of the book is over. That was a good 30k chunk in the middle of the story. FRICKIN AWESOME. Now I NEVER have to try and keep "characters clomping through the forest/along the road/past the town" interesting again!!!

What else I'm up to

I'm working on the crew for a musical, Ruddigore by Gilbert and Sullivan, that goes up this weekend. *stresses out* I ordered two pizzas in advance for this week because I know that I am always hungry after rehearsal, no matter how much I ate at dinner beforehand. 

What inspires me right now

I've talked about music and writing playlists here before, but I've been using certain videos to write to a lot. I'll listen to the same video over and over, because the repetition isn't as distracting as choosing a new song. 

10 comments:

  1. I can definitely see how NaNo cramps your writing style. I think that's why I struggled with success during my two NaNo attempts. You really have to be okay with embracing a not-so-great first draft. I tend to revise as I go, which you don't have time for in NaNo. Hooray for getting over the tough part in your WIP! Here's hoping it's smooth sailing from here on in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I think that part of the problem is that I've been busy with so many other things, for such long periods of time (I was in the theater from 4:40-10:30 this afternoon/evening) that I don't have the time to mull things over and let myself process it like I normally do. It's nowhere near as bad as last year, though, when I was just wallowing in everything.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on 70k!

    Florence + the Machine and Lindsey Stirling sounds like such an amazing playlist combination. In fact, I think I need to go make that playlist right now.

    ...Now I totally want pizza.

    Have a brilliant week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      They make a great combination! You should do it. :) And I just ate three slices of pizza so...yeah. Haha.

      Delete
  3. 70k? How can you be behind, then? :p I think I understand the 'mulling over' part of writing. I get that too. ;)
    I haven't totally given up NaNo, but I'm a bit stuck right now with no plot. Thinking of doing short stories instead but that's not my area of expertise! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 70k total, but I'm keeping track of what I've written during NaNo (hence why I'm a little behind).

      Maybe you can continue an older wip for NaNo? :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on making it to 70K! That's awesome. And I love your music choices. I've been writing to movie soundtracks, too. I'll definitely be checking out the two you mentioned. :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I realize I'm commenting nearly a week late on this one, but I hope your week has gone well! :)

      Delete
  5. I do the whole envision it as a movie thing too. I've been stuck this last week because certain scenes I plugged through for NaNo aren't working, so I can understand it cramping your style. 70k is really awesome though! I've got Christina Aguilera's song from the Hunger Games soundtrack on repeat for my dystopian. =) Good luck with NaNo! I'd say the same for the musical, but that's just bad form. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks. The 70k is NaNo + what I had before NaNo, so I haven't written all the 70k during NaNo, but I'm still proud that I got farther than I did last year. Editing this NaNo will be...interesting. I'm writing quickly but carefully, but I have to fight that instinct to make everything super-wordy just to make word count goals. I have a tendency to get flowery and I don't really think NaNo helps with that, haha. :)

      Delete

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.