Skip to main content

The DUH!!! Moment of Editing

I had a "DUH!!!" moment about my WIP last week.

I was plotting which direction the re-writes should take and what needed the most work. And then it hit me with a great big

and I was all like




partly because it seems so obvious in retrospect, but mostly because it means I will have to rewrite to an extent which I have never rewritten before.

I really have no clue how I managed to overlook this. Well, that's a lie -- because I made sure not to make this same mistake in another part of the WIP. I was oh-so-concerned that the friends-to-significant-others relationship should develop naturally. I was also oh-so-concerned that the just-friends relationship did the same thing. And the same for the sibling relationship, and so on and so forth.

Basically, I was so concerned over all this side stuff that I COMPLETELY IGNORED what might just be the MOST IMPORTANT relationship in the WHOLE DAMN THING.

I mean, it's not important in that it's meaningful to both people (though it is). It's important in that the entire plot literally hinges on it. It you don't believe in this relationship or understand why it's important, the plot and the decisions of a major character will make no sense.

And I sidelined it. Ugh. What makes it worse is that it's my MFC's (main female character's) relationship with a mentor. I was plenty concerned about her romantic relationship, because that's also important to the plot...but how could I forget about this pivotal mentor? Does that mean I made my MFC all about the romance? Now I feel like a bad feminist.

Well, I guess I'm not so much a bad feminist as I am a bad -- well, let's say learning -- writer. Leaving the reader free to use their imagination isn't the same thing as expecting the reader to read your mind as well as your book.

Also, critique partners are essential. I really don't think The Book could progress beyond its current draft in any major way without the questions and comments of my critique partner.

I am almost back from vacation (one more day of Road Trip Hell to go). Care to leave a comment for me to read when I get back? Have you had any editing "DUH" or *facepalm* moments? Any similar experiences?

In the meantime, I'll be doing rewrites, rewrites, rewrites.

Comments

  1. I can't say I have had such a moment in the midst of edits. Not true edits. I have kind had a moment like this as I try to salvage Novel 2 from oblivion. (I think I can do it.) That's still a first draft, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I expected to have a moment like this. Critiques kind of jolted me out of complacency. I hope saving Novel 2 succeeds! :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your a-ha moment! It's fun following along your book journey with your actual book, and from what you post on here. I think I've learned both of those lessons too, actually. It's easy to leave a lot of stuff out, thinking that the reader will catch on, but it's really only obvious to you because you wrote it... haha oh dear thank goodness for CPs. THANK GOODNESS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You've been a great CP! Thank goodness indeed! You probably know exactly what I'm talking about, too...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

No, Pence Would Not Be Worse Than Trump

No, Mike Pence would not be worse than Donald Trump. 

The conversation always goes like this: "something something Trump should be impeached" "BUT IF WE IMPEACHED HIM THEN WE'LL GET PENCE AND HE'D BE SO MUCH WORSE"

No. No, no, no, no, no. Stop it. I need you to stop saying that. 

Here's why:

It's an abuse tactic

This is the same logic abusers employ to keep people from leaving them, reporting them, or taking any action. "But I never hit you." "Sure, baby, I hit you, but only a couple of times. I could have put you in the hospital." "Well, at least she's never raped me, not like such-and-so's wife." "I spent twenty years being psychologically abused and manipulated by my parents, but Joe's parents actually beat him." "I'd like to leave, but I'm afraid that living on my own will be worse."

Over time, this creates a twisted gratitude for the abuser -- instead of outrage over the things the…

A Spoiler-Free Review of Disney's Moana

I got to see a double feature with friends this Saturday: Moana followed by Rogue One. My review of Moana, containing only information you might need to know about the characters or context, is below. A review of Rogue One, which is not going to be so spoiler-free, is forthcoming.

A More or Less Spoiler-Free Review of Moana

Moana is a wonderful movie. Imagination, characters, visuals, and everything combined to create a beautiful world with a great story. 

Moana is the adventurous daughter of a chief on a Pacific island. Though she longs to hop on a boat and explore the vast expanse of ocean all around her, she reluctantly quashes this rebellious spirit in order to learn how to be a good leader. When life starts dying on the island, it turns out that the world needs an adventurer like Moana to save them all. 



No Dead Parents

Disney's rather infamous for the "dead parents as backstory or motivator" trope. It's a powerful move, but one that's been played in many, many D…

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way. 

But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news. 

So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can.

Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one. 

Summary

After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how scary he finds the wo…