Skip to main content

What's Up Wednesday

Time for another Wednesday check-in post for Ready. Set. Write!

Writing Goals -- mid-week progress:
- I've written 1 book review.
- I'm about 2/3 of the way through my fourth edit of The Book.
- Haven't started my new outline. I'm waiting till the edit's done.
- I've written nothing on any other project. Oops.

 What I'm Reading

I just finished Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones and Partials by Dan Wells. I'm halfway through After the Snow by S.D. Crockett, and I just started Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza. I need to get to the library soon and pick up I, Robot or just find my copy of Xenocide, which I had started years ago before losing. The reading theme lately has been post-apocalypse and sci-fi.

What I'm Writing

Let's do this a bit differently. You all know I'm on my fourth run of edits on my main project. But what about all those side writings I've had to put on hold? I'm not technically "writing" them right now, but I can introduce them here. The Other Book: it's the other book I'm working on (duh), a YA urban fantasy/dark fantasy. Contracted: my current favorite draft, a long story about assassins and arranged marriage. BRAAAIIINNNSSSSSS: That's not the title; it's just the file name. It's a novella about love and potheads in the zombie apocalypse. Mask: my NaNo novel. And lastly, various random other stuff.

What Else I've Been Up To

Nothing exciting -- just practicing the cello, cleaning my room (an ongoing process), playing video games, making tea, working, gardening, etc. My brother was complaining about a video game storyline, so I gave my theory on how it should have gone. He was impressed with my version. Apparently I'm a genius and should write for video game companies.

What Inspires Me Right Now

Lindsey Stirling, a violinist/dubstep artist. You can find her on YouTube. She very obviously loves music. It's inspiring when I'm trying to remember how I used to love music like that.

Comments

  1. I love Lindsey Stirling's music. I played it a lot while studying for my school finals, to try to keep me awake/alive/interested. :)
    And all your projects sound really interesting! I can never manage to do more than one WIP at one time, so I have a lot of them on the shelf, too. They look really nice and shiny, usually about the same time my WIP is giving me gray and/or less hair. I hope your edits go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Lindsey Stirling about a year ago, and have been listening since. :) I just ordered some of her sheet music to play on my cello as well.

      Yes, it's very tempting to turn to my shelf of projects when my current WIP is being frustrating. Sometimes I have to, just to let off steam.

      Delete
  2. I really need to get my hands on Mila 2.0. I've heard so many good things! My reading theme has been mostly contemporary although I do have The 5th Wave coming up very shortly on the TBR - excited about that one!

    Good luck with your writing this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it so far -- but then, I'm only on the first chapter. I'm sure it will continue to be good.

      Thanks! You, too!

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed with you and other folks juggling several projects! I know that I'll need to work up to that, but I can't seem to get my brain to switch to easily from one project to another.

    Have a great weekend! Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell the truth, "juggling" usually distracts me, too. I typically have a major project and a secondary project, with a lot of others like the ones I listed shelved for later work.

      Delete
  4. I've not read, nor confess even heard of the book of which you speak. But I'm impressed with your reading speed. I myself would love to consume more novels in a given year, but not only does my schedule seem to eat away reading time, the actual time during which I read passes more slowly for me than for others. Better to read well than to read quickly, of course, but the result of that is reading fewer novels. Currently I'm reading "The Night Circus".

    Part of me wishes that on some level, your writings could literally remain titled "The Book" and "The Other Book".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in love with The Night Circus. It is one of my favorite books in the universe. You probably think I'm exaggerating. I'm not.

      I introduced the two novels as "The Book" and "The Other Book" first because I was shy, and second because I realized that their working titles might change. The nicknames have stuck. It would be amusing to see them published as The Book and The Other Book -- but what, pray, would I do if I wanted to write a third? "The Third Book"? "The Threequel"? :)

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your writing goals this week. I really like Lindsey Stirling - she pops up on my pandora feed occasionally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

21 Minus Blog Tour Launch!

Hello and welcome to the 21 Minus blog tour! Are you excited? Good. You should be. :) 2 1 Minus, hosted by Anna Waggener , aims to showcase writers 21 and under. With that in mind, I present my interview of 15-year-old writer and blogger Nick Hight   from New Zealand. He doesn't know who interviewed him yet, and I don't know who interviewed me. That's part of how you win the contest -- but more details on the rules after the interview. Interview with teen writer Nick Hight: 1. Why did you decide to start a blog? Because someone I know -- who’s not even one of my mates -- told me I should. Seriously, that’s the only reason. She said I should give it a go, and I thought, why not? At the time, I didn’t intend to meet other writers online or post about writing or anything like that at all -- it was just a way for me to rant to the world. 2. What is your favorite book or movie and why? This is a tough one, because I have a whole heap of favourite books and movies...

Audiobook Review: The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I'm behind on these. There's a whole list of wonderful books that I've been meaning to roll out reviews for. Unfortunately, NaNoWriMo got in the way.  But now it's December and I can get back to what I love writing: snarky reviews. I could have kicked off the next series of Diverse Reads reviews with a nice review. But I'm in a bad mood. Have been since November 8th. Actually, I've been in a bad mood since 2016 started with a slew of celebrity deaths and terrible news.  So a negative review it is. Spoilers below. I could not give less of a fuck whether or not I spoil this horrible book. Actually, since the whole point of this is to convince you NOT to read it, I'm going to try to spoil as much as I possibly can. Brace yourself. This is going to be a long one.  Summary After the swimming accident that nearly claimed the lives of him and his friend, Jack Peter has been severely agoraphobic. What his parents don't seem to understand is how s...

Examiner is gone (and so are all my reviews)

Well, this is frustrating. Examiner.com was a crowd-generated entertainment/opinion/"news" site where I reviewed books. I reviewed books there since college, and while it didn't exactly make me millions I enjoyed it. In June I got an email from Examiner after a long break from the site. It offered an incentive for returning writers through the end of June. I figured, hey! Why not? and wrote them some bitchy reviews (and few nice ones as well). What was really nice was the fact that they'd updated their quality standards since I'd left.  One of the reasons I left was the subpar content; I was putting a lot into these reviews for very minimal rewards while other people wrote 200-word, highly biased, often grammatically incorrect pieces about dog abuse or celebrities and made hundreds-and-more dollars a month. When I returned to the site, I was one of the contributors whose content was consistently high-quality. I thus wasn't subject to the new mandato...