Skip to main content

In Defense of Slytherin ;)



Ravenclaws are smart, love to learn, and value knowledge above all. Hufflepuffs are loyal, hardworking, honest, and accepting. Gryffindors are brave -- sometimes reckless -- and value courage. And now for the House everyone seems to hate (though admittedly, there are good reasons for its reputation):

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/images/icons/shield_sly.jpg.pagespeed.ce.uL0aHDdme8.jpg

Ambitious, cunning, resourceful, with "a certain disregard for rules" -- these qualities describe members of Slytherin House. And as Hagrid (incorrectly) said in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, "there's not a witch or wizard went bad that wasn't in Slytherin." Founded by Salazar Slytherin, it has included Tom Riddle/Voldemort (Dark Lord), Bellatrix Lestrange (Death Eater), and Lucius Malfoy (rich, arrogant ass).

However, it has also included Phineas Nigellus (Hogwarts Headmaster, if a rather unpleasant person), Horace Slughorn (the quintessential college professor), Draco Malfoy (sympathetic if foolish and master of the Elder Wand), Narcissa Malfoy (the only reason Harry didn't die in the forest), Severus Snape (Death Eater turned good guy), and Regulus Black -- another Death Eater turned traitor, and a very unusual Slytherin indeed. It's a unique pureblood who's kind to house-elves, turns against Voldemort, and sacrifices himself at the age of seventeen to destroy a Horcrux, rather than letting Kreacher die. I mean, come on. Regulus is more of a hero than Sirius ever was.

Anyway, being in Gryffindor doesn't automatically make you a good guy, as Peter Pettigrew demonstrated. How the hell he got into Gryffindor in the first place beats me. Even Dumbledore, a Gryffindor, was tempted by the Dark Arts before his sister died...as a direct effect of his plans to take over the world. Percy Weasley is a Gryffindor, when his ambitions would seem to fit better with Slytherin.

Godric Gryffindor himself also stole the Sword of Gryffindor from the goblins. He was BFFs with Salazar Slytherin before their disagreement about letting Muggle-borns into Hogwarts. It's safe to assume that while Godric didn't agree with discrimination against humans, he had no qualms about treating other races badly. And really, can you blame the original Slytherin for not trusting Muggles and Muggle-borns? This was in a time when Muggles were actively persecuting and burning witches and wizards. The students they accepted into the school could have gone back to their families and been killed by them. They could have told their parents where Hogwarts was and potentially led angry Muggle mobs to the gate. If he wasn't at least a little wary, he'd be foolish.

All in all, the seventh HP book goes out of its way to blur the lines. It seems that when Slytherins are bad, they're really bad. But when they're good, they're very good. Look at Regulus and Snape. After all, as Dumbledore says in Chamber of Secrets, "It is our choices that make us who we are, not our abilities."

So if I had the choice, I would be in Slytherin just to spite everyone who hates it. ;) And being ambitious is not a bad thing. Add that to the cool, kind of goth common room and my favorite color green, and yeah, I would choose Slytherin. This is all hypothetical, of course, since I'm a Muggle. And would probably be eaten by the Basilisk, so...yeah. That part of Slytherin definitely sucks. 

Comments

  1. I totally agree with this- people who have just seen the movies think that Slytherin automatically means evil. And yeah, I never really understood why Percy was a Gryffindor. Because he's a Weasley, I guess?

    I'm not exactly sure what house I would be in. I feel like a Ravenclaw, but I'm ambitious, too, and a few of the other traits from other houses. All the sorting hat quizzes I've taken (I know that sounds silly) on the internet say that I'm either a Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, leaning towards Gryffindor.

    I guess I really wouldn't mind which Hogwarts house I'd be in (hypothetically, of course). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, because all the house quizzes I've taken either put me in Slytherin or Gryffindor, or tie me between the two. It's really down to choice, though, isn't it?

    I feel like you would be a Gryffindor, because you take initiative. Of course, just because people possess some qualities of one house doesn't mean that no one in the other houses possesses those qualities. I suppose that explains Percy and Dumbledore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy, so leave lots! :) I will usually reply to each one, so click Notify Me to read my replies.

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Hemlock Grove, ep. 1 and 2

Hello! I'm back from my blogging hiatus. I've been on a horror kick lately, and most recently, I watched the first two episodes of Netflix's Hemlock Grove. I'm a bit late to this series, but for what it's worth, here's my review. I have some...issues.  Pacing It's based on a novel, and you can tell. Once the show introduces something that might be interesting or lead to tension and conflict, it snatches it away like a precious plot-gem that it doesn't want you to see. There is way too much exposition and filler. The plot hangs together pretty well, but not much really happens. Case in point, it should not have taken two whole episodes to find out Main Character is a werewolf. Especially since everyone seems clued into this fact and accepts it as truth -- except the viewers. Then suddenly Rich Boy is asking if he can watch the transformation like it's understood that Poor Kid Main Character is a werewolf. No warning, no lead-up, nothing.

Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow by Faïza Guène, a YA Book By A Young Author

Review time! Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow is a young adult novel by a young adult, so I was very interested to read it. There's also a #MuslimShelfSpace tag going around, and this review is a nod to that. The idea is that there's been a lot of stereotypes and anti-Muslim sentiment spread around, so buying and boosting books about and by Muslims can help educate people and break down harmful stereotypes.  The author is French with an Algerian background, and  Guène  wrote Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow when she was in her late teens. Although the novel is not autobiographical, she shares many things with its main character. Doria, like her creator, is the child of immigrants and lives in poor suburban housing projects.   Guène   wrote that she realized girls like herself weren't really represented in books, and felt that Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow was a way to tell the stories of people in the suburbs who are ignored by the elites of French literature. Plot: Life Sucks, Until It Doesn

King Arthur Sucks.

I wrote a review of The Greenstone Grail by Amanda Hemingway , in which I applauded the book for being the first Arthurian adaptation I had read that I didn't despise. I mean, how could I? Despite the book's other problems, it had aliens riding motherfucking dragons!!! Aliens! Dragons! Parallel universes!  After reading my review, one of my friends asked me why I hate Arthurian legend so much.  Well.  Perhaps one of the reasons I liked The Greenstone Grail 's take on the Holy Grail myth was because it was so different.  Most Arthurian adaptations fall along the same lines. It's the same damn story told almost the same damn way all the time. But  The Greenstone Grail took place in modern times, borrowing from the Holy Grail and Arthurian myths without making it so central to the plot that there was no room for other stuff like imagination.  Say whatever else you want about this book ( and believe me, I did ), it had imagination. Its main character can dimension-